2.15.2008

I read . . . .therefore I fail audits.

I'm always resolving to blog more often--but somehow nothing ever seems to come of these resolutions. Part of the problem, I think, is that lately I feel like I don't have much to say. My schedule is busy and not conducive to thought, and my mind seems to run in the same tired patterns.

I'm sure there are people somewhere in Rivertown who care about the making and analyzing of stories, or about faith and culture in general. But so far I haven't them (and, believe me, I've tried). Without conversation, without people who agree and disagree with my ideas, I feel like I don't have any ideas. Perhaps I don't.

I suppose the sensible solution would be virtual conversation--using my blog and other online resources to engage in the conversations I'm not having in person. But much as I appreciate the internet, I often find online interactions stultifying: it's too easy to absorb things passively, too difficult to achieve a sense of real engagement. The internet usually leaves me feeling more detached than I did before.

So I'll keep trying. I'll keep
talking to random people in libraries and braving cocktail parties where I don't know anyone, keep trying to talk to people after church. (My current church is much friendlier than some I've attended, and that definitely helps. Though not being able to receive Communion doesn't.)

In the meantime, I read constantly, read more than I've read since high school. In the last couple of weeks, it's been Thomas Merton, Richard John Neuhaus, Rosemary Sutcliffe, and Robin McKinley--plus the first chapter of a massive tome on the history of the Reformation. Most days I'm more interested in my current book than in my homework, which occasionally goes rather badly as a result. But only occasionally. Academic brinkmanship usually serves me well.

I have a paper due tomorrow. If I didn't, this blog post probably wouldn't exist (indeed, I expect I originally created this blog itself as a means of postponing a homework assignment). But, while I'm procrastinating, I think I'm going to resolve, again, to post more often. Only this time, I'm going to resolve to post about every book I read. That will (at the least) force me to think and analyze a bit more thoroughly; and perhaps it will also lead to some interesting conversations. It's worth trying, anyway (and much more fun than either homework or cocktail parties).

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Pinon Coffee said...

I think you're on to something. Virtual conversations are better than nothing, but not so good (especially for Deep Thoughts) as conversations with live people.

I think it's normal not to have deep thoughts, without anyone to bounce them off. that's why great artists usually come in schools, like fish.

6:59 PM  
Blogger E. said...

I'm happy for your friendly church, but sad about missing commuion. That's been one of my favorite parts of being back at my home church for a few months. If you have an urge to procrastination, you should e-mail me about where you're going now & such.

Miss you!

2:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

therefore, you should blog more

11:04 AM  
Blogger The Heart said...

If you are looking for a good historical read try The Day Lincoln Was Shot, by Jim Bishop. Very interesting look at the hours surrounding the assassination and the characters involved.

5:02 PM  
Blogger Jonathan said...

Either you suddenly quit reading, or have a lot of backlogged posts to catch up on.... :-)

What's the best book you've read in the last month?

6:11 PM  
Blogger Maggery said...

Last night, I was up until 3am.

Not writing DRW (19 pp. to go!).

Not reading Dickens.

Not working on/strangling Euclid.

Not reading Yeats.

No, none of these worthy things occupied my time.

I was, my old friend, watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Season 1.

And. It's. All. Your. Fault.

3:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home